DGV Nav

Monday, November 12, 2012

Monday Tip: Hanging Artwork

living rooms - white sectional sofa photos gilt gold glass top round coffee table gold white cream yellow  Beautiful living space - Gold leaf
Sarah Richardson via decorpad
We all have pet-peeves.  One of mine happens to be the level at which artwork is hung.  I know, I know,  I am persnickity.  I just can't help myself!  When artwork is too high it drives me insane!  I would rather it was too low.  The whole effect is ruined if the art doesn't relate to the furniture.  If there is too much space between furniture and artwork it just looks odd.  Also, art should mainly (except in a floor to ceiling gallery wall, which I love) be at eye- level.  That makes sense, right?  Here are some good examples:
I love that in this example, the long bird picture is even partially obscured by the side table.  It just relates to the whole layout better.  

The same principle is seen in this picture:  The lower level of artwork is obscured.  It makes a big difference in the overall affect.  

Holly Mathis living room gallery wall
Notice how close the art is to the top of the sofa?  It all becomes related.  Why should the artwork float feet high over the furniture?  I don't understand why people continually do this.  

Again, this is the highest the art should be from the top of a piece of furniture.  

Gallery Wall Inspiration

The landing of your stairs is the perfect location for a floor-to-ceiling gallery wall.
I am loving a floor to ceiling gallery wall, especially in a stairwell.  
On this console wall the art is again, right above the table and chairs so as to read well to the eye.  

iv
Please remember this little tip: no floating artwork. I don't like to say it's a rule because I really don't believe there are any rules to decorating.  And there are probably some really good exceptions to this one. It is just one simple way to make your home look that much better. 

Day 12:  I am thankful that I have Lori as a friend and co-conspirator on this blog.  I love writing for DGV and sharing my ideas with all who will read and listen.  I can't tell you how much it means to me and the quality of my life.

3 comments:

  1. I envy you and your tenacity for keeping up the blog. It's my new favorite!! I wish I was able to do something like this and keep up with it. I love to write and have all these ideas, but bringing them to fruition takes something special. I am thankful to have found DGV so THANK YOU R & L!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhhh, Lizzie, you are SO sweet! Thank you so much for your kind words! ~Lori

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lizzie! You are the best! It helps to be doing this with a friend. Let us know if you do start your own; we would love to follow it:)
    Thanks again,
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...