DGV Nav

Saturday, November 17, 2012

Advent Calendars

Day 17~  I am thankful that the Cat and I have gotten to travel, go to museums, plays, musicals, and other cultural and social events that have opened our eyes to the world and brought so much depth and experience to our lives.



This year, I have decided to make the Cat an Advent calendar.  My sister bought her boys some really cute Lego calendars, but she couldn't find anything appropriate for my niece, who has a severe peanut allergy  and can't eat most of the candy that comes in your run of the mill advent calendar.  So she is making one too.

I remember one time I was Christmas shopping with my mother-in-law, and we were at Pottery Barn, and she pointed to a beautiful, expensive advent calendar and said something about it.  I had never really paid much attention to advent calendars before, but I thought the Pottery Barn one was nice and I wanted to make an appropriate agreement/response to her comment, so I said something about how I didn't like the little calendars you can get with the cheap chocolate, blah blah blah.  Again, let me remind you, I had never really thought twice about any advent calendar, having never gotten one or given one.  I just wanted to contribute to the conversation.  So who cares, you say?  What's the point of your story, you ask?  Well, right after I said that, my mother-in-law informed me that she had bought one of those "cheap chocolate advent calendars" for the Cat.  I felt like the biggest jerk ever- I still feel bad about that comment, 8 years later!  And she isn't even my mother-in-law anymore!  I hate that I offended her, and I hate it even more because I didn't even really mean it!  This, my friends, is why you should always be honest.

There.  Didn't know you were going to come here today and get some solid life advice, did you?  Well, there you have it.  We aim to please here at DGV.  (Let it be noted that I have a head cold and I took some night time cold medicine shortly before beginning this post.)

So.  On to the advent calendars.  I am planning on making one for the Cat this year, and there are so many fabulous ideas out there (thank you, Pinterest!) that I am having a hard time deciding which direction I want to go in.  I'd better hurry up and decide, though, because it'll be time to start using it pretty soon.  One thing I do know- it will not contain just gifts.  She gets enough stuff during the year, at her birthday, and at Christmas.  We talked about it and she is making little notes and gifts for me to open as well, and we will take turns.  I am also going to stick a couple of presents for the dog and the cat in there on one of the days, since Big Cat always wants to buy  Christmas gifts for the pets anyway.  And I will put in things for us to do that will help others, like bringing her teachers a coffee and donating a gift to the Toys for Tots program.

1/ 2/ 3/ 4/ 

If I ever decide what idea to go with, I will be sure to post it.  I'm looking forward to it, actually.  And I do have a whole week off to work on it, so no excuses!

Have a great weekend!

~Lori


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...