DGV Nav

Monday, January 30, 2012

Valentine's Day via Doris Day

Since Valentine's Day is just around the corner I thought to myself, 'self, what reminds you of Valentine's Day; since the holiday is somewhat cheesy and contrived yet sweetly nostalgic?'  Well, that isn't exactly how it went but I immediately thought of all those great Doris Day movies from the 50's.  I am a big fan of Doris Day.  Everyone who worked with her raves about her intelligence and professionalism.  She often did scenes with only one take and these scenes, unlike today, often involved slapstick physicality and long scenes of dialogue.  She was a pro.
The movies she did were fluffy and light, entertaining and stylish.  I think we are in a perfect moment, based on current trends, to look back to these fabulous romantic comedies for some style inspiration!

A Little Bio:  I haven't done any research for this on Doris Day.  I know a few things about her though: She began her career as a dancer, not a singer.  She and her dance partner were lucky enough to get a contract and were to leave for Hollywood, but the night before she was in a serious car accident.  She broke her leg (I believe) and the doctors told her that she would never be able to dance professionally.  This was of course crushing news, but while she was bed ridden she listed to records and it became clear that a new career was ahead of her.  That's right, she began singing with a band and traveled for years as the lead singer until she got her first movie role "Romance on the High Seas" (1948).  It was evident that she had star quality.  She wasn't a trained actress but she had a natural, fresh quality.  She was called "the girl next door," but I disagree.  I know what they mean by that but I don't know anyone as talented, beautiful, and stylish as Doris Day!

A very young Dorris Day in her first film "Romance on the High Seas"

She is just so timeless. I love that dress.


Who could forget great scenes like these from the classic romantic comedy "Pillow Talk?"

There are few on-screen couples as famous as this one.

Gloves? check, matching dress and polka dot hat? check, incredibly adorable? check
Doris Day and David Niven in "Please Don't Eat the Daisies."
I love this movie.  Day plays a harried mom of 3 boys, has a large dog, and is the wife of an ambitious play critic.  She volunteers at her boys' school, attends her husband's boring work parties, redecorates their country house all while looking fabulous!  Now that is a WORKING mother!


I know it is just a movie, but I am so inspired by the thought of a mom who always looks pulled together.
I know, I know. This picture says it all; they are the epitome of what we love about these movies. Cary Grant and Doris Day in "That Touch of Mink."
Style with a capital "S"


Doris Day movies are the perfect link to Valentine's Day.  The movie "Down With Love" was made a few years back which captures the silly, cute qualities of the original Day/Hudson movies, filled with double entendre.  I love this song at the end of the movie.....so here's to love!






     




2 comments:

  1. I am a new author with a new book about Doris Day, but this time the story is about a correspondance that has endured over 60 years. "MY 'SECRET LOVE' AFFAIR WITH DORIS DAY" by Michael J DeVita is available NOW on www.amazon.com. Check out the reviews and read the story. Besides the 60 plus year story, the book's primary focus is on the music recorded by Doris Day and how that music affected my own life at various times in my career, and continues to do so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is fantastic! I am so excited to check out your new book. My limited knowledge of Day comes from biographies and my love of her movies and I am always interested in learning more. Thank you so much for your comment!

    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...